St. Paul’s United Church
St. Paul’s Leadership Team Meeting
January 24, 2017, 6:00pm
Present: Don Atkinson, Chair, Ted Reeve, Susan Walma, secretary, Clive Bithell, Becky Bauman, Judy Lynn, Jack Allen, Crystal Dolliver
Guest: Michael Gordon
Added VISTA start up.
2. Minutes of December 19, 2016meeting
Moved by Crystal, seconded by Clive, to approve the minutes of the December 19, 2016 meeting. PASSED
3. Report from Michael Gordon re facility use
St. Paul’s has received community recognition from the Orillia and Area Chamber of Commerce in the “rebuilding Orillia” category; this is a prestigious award.
24 events have or will have happened from Oct 2016 to June 30, 2017 in the newly renovated sanctuary.
Moved by Becky, seconded by Judy to approve the updated Sanctuary booking process, application form, and rate structure and the default sanctuary chair setup. PASSED
The kitchen needs more support as it has more community use now.
Sorry to report our grant submissions to the government and the United Church have been turned down. Many, many thanks to Bruce McWhinnie for all his dedicated work on that.
The United Church policy banning purchased water in bottles is to be enforced not only for St. Paul’s congregation but also for outside users. Katrina needs to be informed and there should be some signage to enforce this policy.
4. Feedback from luncheon
Almost all feedback was positive. The congregation appreciated this event; almost 90 people had lunch. This event will be planned for 3 times a year, the next one being May 28th.
The fall 2016 gatherings were reviewed and tables reported back on their discussion of the values of St. Paul’s. They were listed as: spiritual growth, inclusiveness, open mindedness, justice, safe dialogue, trust, compassion, and generosity. Susan will make an interactive values bulletin board by the banquet hall.
People are asked to make their comments on how these values are brought to life on this bulletin board.
Ted will reference this in his sermon.
5. Financial update
M4R commitment ends Feb 28.
Thanks to Don for 2016 review. General comments about 2016 include:
· Facility use was over $40,000, much better than our predicted $22,000.
· Our general and loose offerings totaled$270,000 right on our goal.
· Our fundraising income was $18,700--- a lot under our goal of $30,500.
· Our building maintenance came in at $39,600-- over our budget of $33,000.
· Property expenses were almost $25,000--- almost $2000 under our budget.
· We did, however, cover the cost of the needed brickwork by our brick campaign.
· We still need 2015 and 2016 HST rebate to come in.
· Teresa Morley, our accountant, will bring our charitable status submission up to date
· At the end of the year, a preliminary estimate is that our net position was $-6,785.
· HST rebates will improve our balance at the bank, but do not impact the profit and loss statement.
Moved by Judy, seconded by Clive, to remove Nick Bauman and Colleen Brown from the bank account at TD and replace them with Geoff Loosemore. PASSED
A first look at the 2017 budget was presented.
Comments about income include:
· Keep our general offerings predicted at the same as 2016--- $270,000.
· Add in $4000 of endowment interest from funds held by the Community Foundation of Orillia.
· Set fundraising at $30,000, keeping in mind we had Orillia Is Born which was a major fundraiser.
· We anticipate $50,000 for facility use.
· Make our anniversary appeal dedicated to hiring a youth and family worker.
Our look at expenses yielded this:
· We must increase our building expenses, including critical roof repair.
· Our programs need more resources. The coordinators have recommended that we hire a youth and family worker to plan program for children and youth for Sunday mornings and for other times during the month and to work with volunteers and families to execute these programs.
· In addition this contract person would develop a House Church program that would bring together small groups made up of families, couples, and individuals who would gather for spiritual growth, worship and fellowship.
· Such a contract person would cost $9000 and we hope to cover this by the anniversary appeal.
· Recommend that staff will receive a 2% increase.
A further detailed budget will be presented to the congregation at the March 5th congregational meeting.
Bev and Mike Todd are stepping down. Blair is leaving stewardship. Susan is moving to stewardship from Leadership. This leaves 3 openings on Leadership team.
The coordinators are continuing. However, Betty would like a co-chair. And a co-chair to work with Rachael is required.
Next LT meeting: February 28, 2017 6:00pm
Ted will talk to Irene to begin VISTA again.
Ted will check out changing the ORILLIA IS BORN sign to St. Paul’s United Church and Centre.
NOTE: budget meeting Wednesday February 15th 6:00pm
_______________Don Atkinson, chair________________Susan Walma, sec’y